Czeched!

Saturday, April 29, 2006

Then and now

I’ve been living in Prague for over a year now. Wow, I never thought I would find myself in one piece after quite a time in the Czech land. One year passed with countless soap opera days and nights with me being the star of such dramatic episodes in my life, and A being the helpless viewer. I missed home terribly. I missed everything Pinoy. It was just so difficult for me to adjust. I have to give my husband credit for his patience and unconditional love especially during those times when I was at the pit of depression.

I never thought I led a “pampered” life back home until I came here. We aren’t rich in the Philippines but I was earning more than enough for me to enjoy some pampering in Cebu where I lived. These were the things I found difficult to let go and which made me miss the Philippines more:

1. The weekly manicure-pedicure-foot spa/massage I had. Sounds so shallow, right? But if it was as natural as breathing, you would surely “die“ during your first months without it. Can you believe I had to see a doctor to cut my problematic toenail? I didn’t know anything about cutting my own toenails then. Somebody did it for me for years.... I know, I’m quite ashamed to admit it right now. :)
2. Tatay’s cooking. He cooked for me and my sister since we moved with him nine years ago. He’s kinda like our landlord but he considers us his family. He still cooks for my sister. I never cooked in my life until I came to Prague. These days it’s the neverending trials and errors in the kitchen. You have no idea how frustrating it was to look at food blogs for some recipe not having a clue of what a peppercorn was. Finally, I cooked my first successful adobo a couple of weeks ago. The feeling of success was I think far better than the taste of the adobo itself. :)
3. Working with an assistant/ secretary. Yes, I had one in my previous life as a so called immigration consultant. Now I am a full-time English preschool teacher and a part-time English teacher. This career shift is so surreal to me. I never wanted to be a teacher. In fact I remember telling myself teaching small children would be the last thing I’d do when, on my first few weeks in Prague, I saw two preschool teachers on the metro with several pumped up kids who can’t stay still and be quiet. I officially took back those words last September. I’ve been loaded with hilarious moments only small kids are capable of making since I started teaching. I’ll make a post about life at the preschool very soon.
4. Food, food, and food. I became obsessed with Filipino food. I’ve had cravings for yellow mangoes from Guadalupe, fried bananas, stir-fried squash, etc, etc. I still crave for them now and then. Some Czech food I like. Some I totally find horrible. They use a lot of butter here on almost everything they eat. I have no problem with butter but not when you eat it with meat already floating in oil. Yaaak.
5. My friends and their unparalled sense of humor. There’s nothing more depressing than having nobody to laugh with you, or to be surrounded with people who would look at you in confusion when you‘ve just delivered a punchline. Thank goodness A has a sense of humor. He appreciates my eccentricities and vice versa. But aside from him and a couple of others more, I’m a fish in a small pond of duh-ness.


Like I said, I missed everything back home. I still do. Everything that I miss can’t be covered in one post so I better stop here. What’s important is that things are better for me now. I have learned to take care of myself by myself. Little by little I am learning to adjust and be Czeched in some ways. I can’t help but also add that being with A compensates for the things that I miss back home.

I’m so sleepy. It’s raining in Prague right now. The sound of rain makes me want to jump in bed and crash to oblivion. Speaking of rain, I was so ecstatic that spring has finally arrived but with it comes the rain as well. What a bummer!

Ok, I’m out of here. Dobrou noc (goodnight) everyone.