Czeched!

Wednesday, August 16, 2006

The empty streets of Č.R.


There is one thing in the Czech Republic that is glaringly different from the Philippines-- its quiet streets, some completely devoid of people. I call them "ghost streets" because coming from the chaotic city of Cebu where every corner is spilling of people, walking on an empty street is like a scene straight from Twilight Zone.

Mala Strana (above photo) is a part of Prague flocked by tourists all year round, most especially in summer. I took this photo two months ago when A and I were going downhill from Petřin Hill. It was 4pm, the time of the day when its streets should be crowded with awestruck tourists...

The town of Tišnov is home to 8,000 people. This is A's hometown. His parents still live here so we come for a visit quite often. This photo was taken at 11am when we went for a walk up to its neighboring town. Not a single one out of those 8,000 people was on sight...

Aside from Tišnov, another place in the Czech Republic we frequently visit is Svatoslav. It is a small village where my in-laws have their cottage or weekend house. It is also home to A's grandparents. This photo was taken at 3pm. I have been to the Philippines' smallest barrios and none of their streets were as empty as this one.

After more than a year of living here, I have grown accustomed to this difference from back home. Empty streets, no blaring TVs or radios, these are just some of the few things I'm getting used to. I wonder how it will be like to experience the chaos in P.I. again. Well, as the Czechs say, Uvidime. We'll see...