Czeched!

Tuesday, December 04, 2007

It's Christmas!

I'm a certified Christmas addict so naturally I'm very pumped up now that the season to be jolly is here again. I don't know if I'm contagious or what but I've easily convinced A to have a Poinsettia in our flat two weeks before December even started. It's been sitting in one corner of our flat, so pretty in all its red and green glory.

The other day I searched its origin or how it was associated with Christmas online so I can tell a story about this plant to my kids at school. It's apparently named after Joel Roberts Poinsett, the first US ambassador to Mexico, who introduced the plant in the U.S. in 1825. Legend has it that in Mexico a child who could not afford a gift to offer to Christ on Christmas Eve picked some weeds from the side of a road. The child was told that a humble gift, if given in love, would be acceptable in God's eyes. When brought into the church, the weeds bloomed into red and green flowers and the congregation felt they had witnessed a Christmas miracle.

Aside from a poinsettia there was nothing else that made our flat Christmasy. I wanted to have a Christmas tree as early as today but apparently they are not selling them yet. Czech Christmas tradition means having and decorating the tree one day before Christmas, but I'm a full-blooded Pinay so my tree will be up and about at least two weeks before D-day. Hmmm, maybe this weekend then.....

So what did I do to put Christmas touch in our nest? I went to the bathroom and came up with this:
I hope I'd still be able to hold the handles to open this cabinet, and I hope A's initial reaction when he comes home later today wont be "what the h........?"

Labels: ,