Czeched!

Sunday, August 31, 2008

Crete, Greece: Misiria-Platanes

My first impressions of Crete were: the ocean was electric blue, it was so dry and hot, and it looked similar to Mactan island in Cebu. Later I realized it was no way near like Mactan, but two things were right; it was hooot and the ocean's blueness is something that would set Crete apart from all the beaches I have been to.

We stayed in a place called Misiria. I'm not so sure but I think it's part of Rethymno, a big city in Crete. We wanted a quiet place where we can soak up the sun, embrace the sights and sounds, without having to trip from and bump into a lot of people doing just the same. We were very lucky. The hotel and its location provided us everything we ever wanted for a holiday.

There is no nightlife in Misiria but there's plenty in Platanes which is 5-10 minutes walk from the hotel. It's also a lot busier than the former. Bars, restaurants and cafes are open till the wee hours of the morning. We usually took our lunch there. Grilled swordfish was our pick of the week. If you're into hardcore partying, Rethymno is about 10 minutes by taxi, 20 minutes by bus.

The hotel from the back garden. I totally recommend May Hotel for everyone who's thinking of going to Crete. It's super clean, plus the fact that Nikos and Maria, the owners themselves, are working in the front desk. Requests for anything like early breakfast, late pick up, whatever reasonable thing you want to make your stay pleasant, they will give it to you without questions asked.

The beach in Misiria was a delight, not because it was exceptional, but because it wasn't packed with near naked bodies. I don't like crowd, period. I'm too particular about my personal space so it was a joy to have that there.

For someone who grew up and lived most of her life a mere five minutes away from the Pacific Ocean, it is very ironic that I can't really swim. I don't know, the sea was always there so I didn't really care about it much and about learning to swim. I wish I did, though. The sea in Crete required a bit of swimming skill so I didn't linger much there.

The beach. Couldn't find a single shell there, which reminds me to google out the reason for the lack of them in Misiria and Platanes. The waves were kinda big on our first day. I chickened out from swimming

In some parts of Crete like near Spinalonga island, the beaches were sandy. The water was also calm and crystal clear. I have a thing about crystal clear waters. When I swim, I need to have a clear view of my feet. If not, I'd rather take a shower at home.

I wanted to post lots of pictures here but I think blogspot is possessed. I'm seriously contemplating moving to multiply for good. Anywho, just click below for the pics of this trip:

Crete, Greece: Misiria/Platanes

I would surely want to go back to Greece. Maybe not in Crete but in one of the other islands there. Santorini, Thassos, Corfu... the list just goes on and on....

Labels: