Czeched!

Monday, September 08, 2008

Busy. Crazy.

Teacher by day, student by night---that's me these days. Yup, I've been having Czech lessons since last week.

It's great, I'm enjoying it so far. The language is so complicated but I'm not in a hurry to learn everything right away. One word at a time and I'll get there someday. At least now it's starting to make sense how the words change like a chameleon.

My classmates are mostly Asians. Three Vietnamese, three Chinese, one Korean. Judging by the accent, one is American, and judging by the looks, one is maybe from Spain or Portugal. One Chinese girl doesn't speak a single English and doesn't understand Czech at all. She cried on the first day --she didn't understand when the teacher asked her to fill up a form, you know, just for her to write her complete name and address. I thought that was it for her, that she wont be coming back, but she's still hanging around. I admire her courage.

So now the words are all jumbled up in my head. Czech will be my fifth language (well, two are considered dialects but still they're participants in the chaos that's been going on there). I wonder which one will have to go. I have this feeling my Tagalog will get worse when my Czech will get better. Oh well, I've never been really fluent in Tagalog but still I don't wanna lose it.

A few weeks ago it took me more than a minute to remember "bacon." I was like "slanina, anglicka slanina.....darn it, what is it called in English!" For a while I panicked. Help, I'm losing my English! Then I rememembered the word but this paranoia just wont go away. Now I try to translate words in my head in five languages, just to make sure I still have a grip on them. I am like " cat-kočka-pusa-iring-miya. Dog-pes-aso-iro-ido..."

*Sigh.*

Welcome to my world.

Labels: