Czeched!

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

No charming life

Some of you people I know back in P.I. think that I lead a charming life just because I live abroad and in Europe no less. Nothing can be farther from the truth. Here’s how my usual week is like:

Monday: Get up at 6am. Has to be at the preschool at 7:45. Preschool is weekdays from 7:45am to 1pm. On Mondays after 1pm, has to rush to Namesti Miru to teach at a language school (same owners of the preschool) from 2 to 4pm. Usually back home at 5, home to the waiting pile of clothes to iron, dinner to cook, and lessons to plan.

Tuesday: At school only till 1pm. The rest of the day is dedicated for errands to run, friends to see, apartment to clean, and so most of the time I would end up not having a free afternoon at all. But nevermind, a time away from work especially with friends is always a treasure.

Wednesday: A repeat of Monday except I teach at the language school till 5. By that time I would be completely exhausted and can only think of crashing out. Still there would be some grocery-shopping to do, dinner to cook and whatnot afterwards.

Thursday: Another long day at work. No language school this time but I work til 5pm again, this time teaching "Drama" at the preschool.

Friday: Preschool still where I also take care of kids' "nap-time" from 1-2pm. Afterwards I usually find myself rushing to the main station to catch a train for Tisnov to visit my in-laws or having a meeting with teachers and directors of the schools.

Weekend: Spending quality time with A at home or sometimes visiting his family. Playing domestic goddess with the neverending struggle in the kitchen trying to come up with an edible meal.

You see, there’s no charming life here. Just an ordinary, working one. And if you think preschool is mainly playing with kids and therefore a breeze, you’re dead wrong. It’s hard work, ladies and gentlemen. It’s doing the things I never did before and probably would never do in the Philippines. So forget the notion that I’m better than you or have more than you do. Such is the ultimate lie you could ever let yourself believe.

Labels: