Czeched!

Friday, May 04, 2007

The quick fix Queen

Yup, that's me, the self-proclaimed Queen of easy to do and easy to prepare stuff to right away silence the want and the need. I'm talking about food here, or were you thinking otherwise? Hehe.

We've been living in our new flat for a week now. I should be jumping up and down with joy for finally living in a place and be surrounded with things we call ours but maybe I'll save the jubilation later when we finally have our kitchen unit installed. It takes six weeks the earliest for the shop to deliver the materials. We've been washing dishes in the bathroom sink, and the thought of greasing it with a dirty pan doesn't appeal to me at all. Maybe I'll only resume experimenting in the kitchen when everything is installed to my heart's content.

Still, eating outside is unhealthy for both body and pocket. Our quick fix to this is to eat salads in the evenings. A likes his vegetables without any dressing but I sometimes like mine to have a bit of this and that. My co-teacher showed me how to prepare a really tasty and easy to prepare dressing when one day we made "farm salad" with the kids at school as an activity for the Farm theme. Here it is:

"Pepřová omačká s korením," which means pepper sauce with spices, and (nevermind the Czech version) garlic-flavored vinegar. Two spoons of this pepper sauce plus a few drops of this vinegar (or according to your taste) really makes a good dressing.

You can also add cheese in your salad if you feel like it. We used this Chevre du Poitou goat's milk cheese. It's so good I dumped several slices on my plate. It's a bit expensive though, a small pack costs more than a hundred crowns, but it's certainly worth it.

This is one of our cuties who carefully selected the veggies and fruits to bite. Me? I right away stuffed my Hruška (or pear as what A likes to call my stomach) with big bites of lettuce, strawberries, almonds, cheese and whatnot, along with suitably agreeable noises...hmm...hmm...this is good...the dressing is excellent...Can I have some more, please?

Labels: ,