Czeched!

Tuesday, March 27, 2007

So ironic


How ironic life is-- the things I ignored in the Philippines are the things that cost me much in Prague. This is the most expensive fruit I've ever bought in my entire total years of both living and existing. This mango costs 90kc. Multiply it by 2.3 and it's more or less 200 pesos. Right, just for one mango.

Last night the owner of this Asian food shop I've been raving about texted me that she has fresh mangoes from Thailand. This news was like the Second Coming especially for A so we immediately went there this afternoon after my class. I knew it would be expensive but really, my calculations didn't even come close to 90kc each. Well, it's imported and as long as it's sweet I wont complain at all. (We decided we'll eat it in two days for it to ripen a bit more so we'll see..)

Other fruits and veggies I totally ignored in P.I. that cost so much here are:

1. Kamote or sweet potato-- more or less 50kc/kilo
2. Balingbing or star fruit-- more or less 20kc each
3. Avocado (small)--more or less 20kc each
4. Banana (tungdan or lakatan or whatever you call it since we have several kinds of them in P.I.)-- the smallest is like 6kc each.

And the list goes on.

Still on fruits-- this morning my co-teachers and I were talking about which ones grew in our gardens when we were kids. I swear they were green with envy when I said we had avocados, both red and green, in our backyard. We also had pineapples growing wildly in our garden. They asked if I knew how lucky I was to have such tropical fruits 24/7. Of course I didn't. Oh yeah, it always seems to go that you don't know what you got 'til it's gone.

Labels: ,