Czeched!

Friday, February 16, 2007

Lesson/Record plan

I've been attacked by this illness I call blogging malaise for weeks now. A few months ago I was so into it (blogging) but now I can hardly update my page. This is so like me, burning with passion for something right now then having cold feet about it the next. This passion is apparently resurrected at this moment, albeit temporarily, so might as well use it to the max.

Preschool teaching means you gotta be creative. I can't count the times I "invented" some arts and crafts activities which turned out pretty well. Unfortunately, I can't also remember them since ( this is a confession of sorts) I don't keep a record of things I did that worked well with kids. It's my second year at the school now and some topics are the same as that of last year's yet I still spend time planning my activities because my memory simply deserts me when I need it the most. I gotta change this awful habit. Right here, right now.

TOPIC: NATIVE AMERICANS (International Month)





The talking stick - has been used for centuries by many Native Americans to designate who has the right to speak. We explained to the kids that only the one holding the stick can talk and the rest will have to listen. This is a great tool at circle time since they want to talk at the same time.

For activity we went for a walk so the kids can look and pick for their own sticks. When we went back inside the classroom we decorated their sticks with feathers and beads. An easy activity but lots of fun for them.

Native American bags - Materials needed are lunch bags, strings, colored papers and a glue stick. Simply cut a part of the bag to make a fringe then glue it at the bottom. Kids can cut the colored papers (or pre-cut them) to the shapes they like and glue them on the paper. Punch holes on the upper sides of the paper to attach the string for the handle.

There, I surely wont need my memory next time. If there will be a next time, that is.

Labels: