Czeched!

Monday, March 05, 2007

Tongue in Czech

I don't know why it took me months to feel motivated to learn to speak Czech. There were always other priorities (or excuses) like I had to get used to living here first, find a job, find friends, and then of course when I got and met all of the above, my ultimate excuse was I can't find the time for it. Now I'm slowly trying to learn it, not just because I have to but because finally I want to.

Our headteacher, who happens to be Czech, offered to give me a lesson and in return I can help her polish her written English. We started our lesson this afternoon. It went pretty well and I just hope we'll continue to "find time" for this.

I never thought learning a new language can be so difficult. I had Spanish in my college years but it was a breeze because Surigaonon and Cebuano, the dialects I speak, are mixed with Spanish words. Even Tagalog have words borrowed from it. I must confess though-- the moment I finished the course the language instantly went puff from my head. Then I had Niponggo but really, I can't remember more than five words. Much ado about nothing, huh?

So now I have another language to soon reside in my head. I just hope my brains, rusty as they are, would welcome it without so much difficulty.

Labels: ,