Czeched!

Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Hoarding

I never understood this craving for something Pinoy (Filipino) while living abroad especially when it comes to food until I came to live in Prague. I suffered months of mental agony craving for Filipino food, even those which are least of my favorites. Aside from being obsessive-compulsive, I discovered I have another illness to boot. I became a masochist since leaving Cebu. A gazillion times I imagined eating fried bananas for breakfast, devouring sizzling gambas for lunch, then dropping by Chowking after hours of malling to chill with a halo-halo.

Imagining and self-torturing no more! Just a few weeks ago Eva told me about this newly-opened Thai/Asian Food Shop very near her place. There were a few Filipino products sold and one was -- catching my breath --the Philippine Dried Mangoes! You couldn't believe how much money my sister back in Cebu spent just to send a few packets for me and A. Now they are just a tram ride away. I must have done something good in life lately for the universe to conspire to reward me with something fantastic as this.

Free Image Hosting at Photo-Host.org
Today I went there and hoarded everything from dried mangoes to crackers, even to a banana ketchup which I so missed. The owner is a nice English-speaking Vietnamese woman who asked me what else I wanted her to import. Cheez Whiz, was my quick reply. Later today A asked me to tell her to import Funchum mango juice and we'll buy all the boxes she'll import. Yes, A is crazy about Funchum, among other Philippine "products."

To find this place, take number 10 or 16 tram from IP Pavlova and get off at Palackeho Namesti (for tram 16, the first Palackeho Namesti stop as there are two). From the tram stop, you'll see a Czech resto called "U Pomniku" in the corner. Go around that corner and you'll immediately see the sign in white highlighted by red blinking lights. If you take the metro, go on line B and get off at Karlovo Namesti station. Go through the exit leading to Palackeho Namesti and follow the sign for the tram. You'll also come out at the same tram stop where you'll see the corner leading to the shop.


Labels: