Czeched!

Friday, October 26, 2007

Leche this flan

Forgive the other meaning of the word if you speak Spanish. What supposed to be a very easy dessert to prepare gave me nightmares- figuratively and literally. Leche flan or custard is ever present during fiestas and noche buenas in PI. I thought it would be a good dessert for the dinner with my co-teachers last Monday though it isn't actually all-Filipino. It's a Spanish legacy to the Philippines.

I wanted a lighter version of the heavyweight 12-yolk original recipe. Twelve egg yolks made me visualize the clogging of the girls' arteries and I refused to be responsible for that especially when two of them are trying hard to kick out so much unwanted flabs. I also didn't want to steam it because we don't have a steamer. Through constant food blog-hopping I found just the right recipe here. I'm not sure about the caramel though. It's the reason why I had nightmares but I'm not going to relive the experience here. Another blog gave me the solution: Caramelized Sugar--1 cup sugar, 1/2 cup hot water. Melt sugar in hot water and boil on low heat until syrupy. Pour in mold and let cool to harden.

Ta-dan, leche flan galore! The girls were all praises. This flan was gone in less than five minutes but sweet of them, they actually left a small slice for A. Dinner was a success. Now they are craving not just for glass noodles but for springrolls, adobo, and this custard as well.

In two weeks it will be the Aussie's turn to feed the hungry. And I'm hungry already.

Labels: ,