Czeched!

Friday, June 13, 2008

The baker

Time is a constant challenge for me now that the school year is about to end. There's a special party we're throwing for the graduating kids next Wednesday, there's another camp I'll be going to with the kids in the second week of July which requires me to finish my lesson plan asap, there are plans to prepare for the next school year.......All these are crammed between now and next week. These and the fact that next school year means more responsibilities for me (hint, hint. :) don't really give me time to even pluck my eyebrows.

But I make time to bake. Last night I just wanted to try my luck in baking "MedovnĂ­k" or honey cake. Mamka lent me the recipe a few months ago and I've been itching to make it myself. Yes, it's borrowed so that means I can't publish it here or I might get excommunicated.

Medovnik is basically layering the dough and cream. I finished baking at almost 11pm. It took more than an hour for the cream to cool. Note to self: I'll prepare the cream first next time. I was about to call it a night when A asked me if I mixed the crumbs for the topping with cocoa. Darnit! I thought I would fall asleep with a big smile of contentment. Bummer. Still my first try was a success. The cake tastes good. I actually like it better than the commercial one. The latter is too sweet.

Life never ceases to amaze me. A year ago the mere sight of a wooden spoon still scared the living daylights out of me. Now I can finally put on my hat and proclaim myself a baker. :)


Labels: